EU Member States Parliaments
Update on activities:
During the second quarter (April-June 2021), the following activities took place around the SDGs and support to Committee work with the National Assembly of Panama:
- Roundtable among MPs
- Technical meeting of the SGDs focal points
- Committee work exchanges with partner parliaments
More information at: https://www.inter-pares.eu/en/sdgs-and-support-committee-work-national-assembly-panama (available in Spanish)
Strengthening the capacity of parliamentary committee staff
- Assess the configuration of staffing to ensure that it most effectively meets the needs of the institution, its committees, and parliamentarians;
- Ensure parliamentary committee staff have the technical knowledge and the professional capacity to manage parliamentary committees and assist MPs in drafting amendments and reviewing legislation, in monitoring and evaluating policy and analysing the budget.
Strengthening dialogue with citizens and civil society
- Restore the citizens’ trust in the National Assembly, as a democratic, transparent and accountable public institution;
- Ensure the media department responds effectively to the National Assembly’s efforts to become more open, accessible and accountable through regular communications on parliamentary business and periodic broadcast programmes with parliamentarians;
- Engage effectively with citizens and civil society through institutionalized channels between representatives and citizens, campaigns and outreach activities.
Strengthening women’s leadership within the National Assembly and combatting violence against women in politics
- Enhanced staff support to the Committee on Women, Childhood, Youth and Family so that the Committee can continue and enhance its work towards equality in the Panamanian society;
- Support to develop an informal women’s caucus that brings together women deputies from across the political spectrum to foster women’s leadership within the National Assembly and to analyse and combat the phenomenon of violence against women in politics.
Developing a Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) implementation framework for the National Assembly
- Support the new SDG subcommittee so that it can play an effective coordinating and convening role in supporting parliament’s role in monitoring the executive’s implementation of the SDGs through the development of an SDGs Governance Framework for the National Assembly.
- Increased focus on gender equality, women’s political participation and climate change by strengthening the capacities of the Committee on Women, Childhood, Youth and Family and the Committee on Population, Environment and Development.