INTER PARES | Parliaments in Partnership – EU Global Project to Strengthen the Capacity of Parliaments aims to strengthen representative and inclusive democracy through support to the effective functioning of parliaments in partner countries, by enhancing their legislative, oversight, representative, budgetary and administrative functions.
One of the key objectives of INTER PARES is strengthening global parliamentary development and interparliamentary cooperation. As part of activities aimed to promote this, INTER PARES supports the AGORA Parliamentary Development Community of Practice.
In 2023, the Community of Practice is continuing its regular sessions with an interactive seminar “Mapping and connecting parliamentary research services around the world”, taking place on 20 September 2023 @13:00 – 16:00 CEST (follow this link to register and participate in the workshop). Co-organised by INTER PARES, and the UK’s Parliamentary Office of Science & Technology, the event aims to shed light on the work of parliamentary research services and their role in building strong parliaments around the world.
The workshop will bring together parliamentary research and development practitioners and scholars in an open and interactive online environment to enable sharing, learning and connecting with peers.
Parliamentary Academic Fellows with the UK’s Parliamentary Office of Science & Technology Dr Vicky Ward and Dr Mark Monaghan will share work they have done to map the services helping parliaments across the world to access and harness research evidence.
Dr Ida Kelemen, coordinator of the Parliamentary Libraries, Research and Archives at ECPRD, and Head of Parliamentary Research Service at Hungarian National Assembly, will present the European landscape of parliamentary research services across the EU.
The workshop will promote peer-to-peer learning and networking by bringing together colleagues from the Parliaments of Austria, Canada, Czech Republic, Ghana, Pakistan who will share insights from their nation-specific contexts.
Here is a complete list of participants:
- Dr Vicky Ward, University of St Andrews, Scotland, UK & Parliamentary Academic Fellow, Parliamentary Office of Science and Technology, UK
- Dr Mark Monaghan, Loughborough University, UK & Parliamentary Academic Fellow, Parliamentary Office of Science and Technology, UK Parliamentary research services across the EU
- Ida Kelemen Ph.D, Head of Parliamentary Research Service at Hungarian National Assembly, ECPRD correspondent
- Dr Christoph Konrath, Head of the Department of Scientific Support and Coordination in Parliamentary Matters, Austrian Parliament
- Dr Heather Lank, Parliamentary Librarian of Canada
- Dr Štěpán Pecháček, Director of the Parliamentary Institute, Chamber of Deputies, Parliament of the Czech Republic
- Dr Abraham Ibn Zackaria, Deputy Director of Research in the Parliament of Ghana
- Dr Muhammad Rashid Mafzool Zaka, Director General (Research) and Founder Member, Pakistan Institute for Parliamentary Services
You can find the complete programme draft here.
Register for the event now.